According to Dr Jeffrey Levy, a top veterinary medicine and a certified veterinary acupuncturist, Incontinence in dogs can be a sign of different conditions. He also believes getting to the root cause is very important. But one can self-diagnose his/her own dog, that’s a job for a vet.
For a vet to understand what the root causes are, you will be asked lots of questions and a physical examination will be performed on your dog. Also, the vet might order tests and faecal examination on your pet’s urine to check for signs of urinary tract infection, blood work, and other abnormal activities.
All of which will help rule out some conditions like Cushing’s disease, kidney failure, and diabetes. These tests will need ultrasound or imaging such as x-rays. In this piece, we will show you just how to deal with your dog’s incontinence and sharing with you the tips and tricks to live comfortably with your dog including the product to aid this process.
Incontinence in older dogs.
This condition is known to start as the dog enters mid-age; although, this all depends on the breed and size of the dog. For instance, a 5-year old Great Dane is middle-aged, while a 5-year old small terrier would be considered a young dog. Dog incontinence can affect any dog breed, but some breeds are more likely to develop the condition.
These breeds include Old English Sheepdogs, Dobermans, Cocker Spaniels. In our previous article, we talked about female dogs, most especially the spayed females being at higher risk of developing this condition. It is still a fact. It mostly affects female dogs who lack estrogen.
Interestingly, large dog breeds such as Golden Retrievers and Labrador Retrievers are more likely to develop faecal incontinence. This is as a result of increased prevalence of the neurologic and musculoskeletal disease.
Causal Agents of Incontinence in Dogs.
Because there can be lots of causal agents attached to this condition, you must talk to your vets about the signs you’ve noticed. Symptoms associated with incontinence in dogs my include free-flowing or dripping urine, walking inconsistently, drinking excessively, blood in the urine, and leakage when lying in bed.
These are some of the symptoms of incontinence in dogs. For instance, arthritis is known to prevent dogs from crouching comfortably to empty their bladder completely, injuries to the spinal column may cause nerves to be compressed; this results in incontinence in dogs.
Medications capable of increasing urine production may also be one of the causal agents of incontinence of dogs. Some of such medications include triamcinolone, furosemide, dexamethasone, phenobarbital, prednisone, and triamcinolone. However, the most common cause of faecal incontinence in a dog is known as lower vertebral disease. The lower vertebral disease is a condition that affects the dog’s lower back.
Weight reduction, as well as NSAID therapy, would be the first treatment given to your dog, and it doesn’t respond, then your vet will consider other diagnostics like the MRI to check for upper motor neuron disease.
Physiological causal agents.
There are some physiological reasons why dogs become incontinent. Some actions and inactions can be the potential problems responsible for your old dog’s inability to hold his pee or poop, but some of the common reasons include:
Injury to the spinal cord.
Injuries to the spinal cord or the back of your dog may the reason why your dog is incontinent. Any form of inflammation or damage to a dog’s spinal cord can prevent its brain from properly transmit information to its urethral or anal sphincter. But you need not worry as spinal cord related issues are treatable. For instance, Anti-inflammatory medications can help reduce swelling enough to aid the restoration of the spinal cord.
This causal agent is the most treatable physiological condition of incontinence. In this case, the dog becomes too frightened. However, anxiety maybe just one of the many problems responsible for the incontinence in your dog. You should talk to your vet about this. Putting aside the effectiveness of medications and focusing on providing a conducive, calm and safe living atmosphere for him would be a great thing to do. You should avoid startling your pups.
Canine Cognitive Dysfunction.
CCD (also known as Canine Cognitive Dysfunction) is the declination of a dog’s mental abilities. It occurs in some ageing dogs. it is quite similar to Alzheimer or dementia’s diseases; it can also cause healthy dogs to either be unaware that they are actually relieving themselves or forget to go outside. Dogs that have CCD often soil their bed. The unfortunate thing about CCD is that is cannot be treated; you should focus on providing a calming environment for the dog.
Incontinent dog solutions
At this point, it doesn’t really matter if your vet offers an effective solution to your dog’s condition. Remember, your dog is getting old, so, the least you can do is to provide a comfortable space for him while he is still alive.
· You need to protect your dog’s bed from leaking fluids.
This will take us to use blankets in our next section. At this point, you need to get used to the fact that there will be some occasional fluid leakage on your dog’s bed. The wise thing to do is the protect your dog’s bed from such leakages. While using a plastic cover can help deal with your dog’s fluid, preventing it from touching the dog’s bed. To clean the plastic cover, you can make use of a small blanket or soft towel. If peradventure there are few drops on the bed, you can wash it off with a blanket or towel. Meanwhile, hose off the cover and spread it to dry.
· Ensure that your pet stays clean all the time.
If you opt-in for a dog diaper to help curb the incontinence, you should clean up your dog anytime the diaper is used. Meanwhile, the proper bath is needed if it’s a messy situation. In all situations, you should dry up your dog properly to prevent skin infections or rashes. If you notice swollen spots on your dog’s skin, you should consult your vet as soon as possible.
· A doggie door.
You should consider installing a doggie door to help your dog settle itself even when you are not around. The doggie door can be installed on the bathroom door or the parlour door. Your dog may need to go the restroom more often than usual, not being able to hold it is just a reason to ease it off in the living room and in other places where it need not be.
· Move your dog’s bed closer to the door.
If you can’t afford a doggie door, you should consider moving your dog’s door closer to the door. To avoid making your dog’s life unbearable by not allowing him to have a free movement and full access to the bathroom, you can move the dog’s bed closer to the door. Meanwhile, you should avoid placing the bed in a spot that’s exposed to drafts or chilly areas.
Some Dog Incontinence Products to help alleviate the trouble.
1. AmazonBasics Pet Training and Puppy Pads.
- Each pad measures 22x22 inches (56x56 cm)
- Super-absorbent core that turns liquid to gel upon contact
There are products specifically designed to help alleviate the trouble faced when your dog becomes incontinent. For instance, the AmazonBasics Pet Training and Puppy Pads will help you solve all your needs when it comes to taking care of an incontinent dog. Most owners of this pee pad have found the AmazonBasics to be a reliable pee pad. They work effectively and come at an affordable price. It acts as an absorbent, which is quite similar to what you have with the disposable table cloth.
2. Pets Black Light Dog Urine and Stains Detector.
- ☑️【PRACTICAL】 Vansky UV flashlight is Perfect for Revealing Dry Dog, Cat and Rodent Stains and unfavourable Spots that Couldn't...
- ☑️【SAFETY USE】 With it you can find Fluorescent Whitening Agent contained in Baby clothes or your cosmetics, ensuring safe from...
There are lots of options when it comes to catering for your dog after every leakage. One of these options includes using a black light. Pets Black Light Dog Urine and Stains Detector are one of the reliable blacklight gadgets out there. black lights are one of the components you need to effectively remove urine stains
3. Envil Pet Fresh Stain & Odor Eliminator.
- Eliminates odours and stains caused by pet urine and other accidents.
- Uses bacteria and enzymes to neutralise the source of the odour rather than masking it with a fragrance.
You can get a pee pad as well as a pet-odour remover. If you own an incontinence dog; you should be ready to clean up regularly. To prevent stains and smells in the home, a good pet-odour remover like Envil Pet Fresh Stain & Odor Eliminator will be an ideal choice. It also helps to remove plagues too. It is arguably one of the best pet-odour removers in the market right now.
Top Dog Incontinence Blankets.
If you need a quality blanket, you should pick from the list below. When it comes to picking the right blanket, there are some factors you need to factor in, some of these factors include:
- Looking for heavy-duty seams and stitching.
- Waterproof (this factor is quite optional as some quality blankets aren’t waterproofed).
- Odour-resistant capability is a must.
- Last but definitely not least is the machine wash capabilities.
Mambe 100% Waterproof Pet Blanket.
The Membe 100% waterproof blanket is one of the best options for those looking for quality blankets. It protects your furniture, car upholstery, and furniture from wear and tear of your dog’s teeth and claws. More importantly, it will help protect your cars, furniture, and floors from urine and poop. It is 100% waterproof.
- SILKY FLEECE is LUXURIOUSLY SOFT to the touch, yet durable and resilient.
- 100% WATERPROOF internal membrane protects furniture and bedding against spills or moisture of any type.
Features of the Mambe 100% Waterproof Pet Blanket.
- It is designed as a protective blanket.
- The material used makes it feel comfortable.
- It is made from Polartec Classic 200 Fleece.
- The Mambe blanket is machine washable.
- The blanket comes in three colour variations – Cappuccino, Chocolate, and Buff.
PetFusion Premium Pet Blanket.
If you need a luxurious blanket, then the PetFusion is one of such blankets. It keeps your dog warm while also protecting your furniture from the dog’s teeth and claws. Not suitable for outdoor use. If you have a backpack-style carrier, this blanket will fit amazingly.
- SOFT & COZY: Sized for larger dogs. 100% polyester Micro Plush. Suited for all 4 seasons. Give your pet a greater sense of security
- PREMIUM MATERIALS & CONSTRUCTION: Shed (pill) resistant. Dense fibers. Stylish in-seam
Features of the PetFusion Premium Pet Blanket.
- It is machine washable.
- The blanket is made from 100% polyester micro plush.
- The blanket’s fabric features dense fibres.
- It comes in two colour variations which are Slate Gray, and Chocolate.
- The PetFusion blanket is backed by a 12-month warranty.
Large Fleece Pet Blanket.
Next on our list of the top best blanket is this large fleece blanket. A very soft and cosy blanket that features paw-print patterns. Fits perfectly in your dog’s crate.
- Comfy _ Made with ultra-soft fleece, this pet blanket is sure to make your dog or cat comfortable
- Convenient _ This multi-purpose blanket is ideal bedding for pet carriers, floors, or furniture
It can also be used to cover your furniture or dog’s bed. When the temperature falls, you should consider the Large Fleece Pet Blanket. The layers of the blankets are well pretreated to prevent them from water absorption. If you need an effective crate cushion, this is one blanket you should opt for. The durability level is top-notch.
The Features of the Bogo Brands Large Fleece Blanket.
- The blanket is made from an ultra-soft fleece material just as the name implies.
- It is large enough to fit the bottom of your dog’s crates as well as his bed.
- It is machine washable.
- Comes with 90-day, money-back guarantee.
Rivers West Tundra Waterproof Fleece Blanket.
This blanket is not specifically designed for pets, but it is undoubtedly one of the best out there. it is rugged and great to take with you when going on an adventure.
- Ideal Size, Ultra Compact and Lightweight: Fold out to a large 79"x57" (200 x 145cm)blanket, the camping blanket was designed to fit 2...
- Premium Quality: Our blankets is made from a strong, durable 210T polyester fabric with a polyurethane coating, design to prevent...
Features of the Rivers West Tundra Waterproof Fleece Blanket.
· It comes with a multi-layered design.
· An internal membrane to help protect your dog from wind or water.
· It has an inbuilt strap carrying handle for great mobility.
· It is available in 12 colour variations.
When it comes to effectively dealing with incontinence in dogs, you need to learn from people who have gone through the same tough experience. if you have any other tip to share, feel free to drop it in the comment section below. We’d love to know what worked for you and what didn’t. if there are other causal agents you know, feel free to drop it.